Saturday, October 22, 2011

Drug of Choice

I worked at a rehabilitation center for teens. During group sessions the counselors would have everyone, including the other staff, introduce themselves and say their DOC (drug of choice). I have never done a drug a day in my life. So when it would get to me I would jokingly say "Sugar!" Only now I don't think it was so much a joke.


The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem, right? Well I am seriously addicted to sugar. I constantly crave it. Somehow I've gotten in the habit of eating a bowl of ice cream every night, and I used to not even really like ice cream! Thanks to Halloween season, I often find myself munching on candies (it's ok, cause they're just "fun" sized... right?). I was doing so good listening to my body, but if I'm addicted and my body is telling me eat sugar, that's not necessarily what I should actually be doing. I think things really began to slip when life got out of my control. Now that things are settling down and looking up I'm still eating sugar. Frequently.

The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. What's the second?

No comments:

Post a Comment