Thursday, September 29, 2011

Glorifying Bulimia

I got food poisoning. At least that's what I'm assuming it was because it only lasted 24 hours and I've heard that the "24 flu" is actually just food poisoning. I was up all night throwing up and couldn't eat pretty much the entire day. TMI, right? Sorry. But there is a point to all this. I got on the scale and thought "well at least I lost a few pounds." I'm thinking (hoping) I'm not alone in this thought process. I know when my cousin was pregnant and lost like 10 pounds in her first trimester from morning sickness I thought to myself how great it would be to have morning sickness and actually lose weight while pregnant ( I had the opposite affliction and ate everything in sight). Ok, like I said, there is a point to this sad confession.


While I was sick I called my sister (an RN) to get some advice on what to do. Jokingly (but only half) I told her at least I had lost some weight. To which she replied "you're glorifying bulimia." I had never thought about it that way.  I mean I obviously wasn't going to start making myself throw up, but still it was an unhealthy thought process. The whole point of examining my eating habits is to learn to listen to my body and be healthy. Well my body was telling me it was sick, not a good thing! So next time I'm sick, I'm staying off the scale and focusing on getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment