Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Hot Hot Hot!

Today I decided to bake some chicken strips and fries out of the freezer. I started eating it pretty much right out of the oven. Of course, it was too hot. But I was hungry, so instead of waiting for it to cool off a bit I dug in, and discovered something.


When I eat food that is too hot for my pallet I chew it up the least as possible an swallow it with it touching my tongue as little as possible. So guess what? I don't taste anything! It took me about half way through my meal to discover the fries tasted freezer burned and I didn't want to eat them! It also took me that long to discover I didn't like the honey mustard I was using with my chicken strips. I wasn't even tasting the sauce I was using!

The lesson in all of this? Temperature of food matters. One, so we don't eat more than we want to in an attempt to save our tongues from the heat. And two, when we eat something at a pleasurable temperature it'll heighten the satisfaction of the food. We wouldn't eat frozen chicken strips and fries, so why would we eat it burning hot?

No comments:

Post a Comment