Monday, August 1, 2011

Intuitive Eating: Chapter 2

What Kind of Eater Are You?

In this chapter Tribole and Resch describe three different eating personalities. Of the three I fit in two of them. Don't ask me how it happened, but this is the case.

The first personality is the careful eater, so NOT me.

The second personality is the Professional Dieter. A Professional dieter is defined as a "chronic dieter makes every eating choice for the sake of losing weight, not necessarily for health" (pg. 11). When I'm not pregnant I'm obsessed with losing weight. When I was pregnant I was thinking about when I would have the baby and could start dieting again. Which of course brought on the last supper syndrome (which occurred pretty much every day of my last trimester).


The third personality is the Unconscious Eater. This is divided further into 4 sub-groups. The first is Chaotic. A busy person that eats whatever is fastest and available. This describes me not because my life is crazy busy, but rather because I just don't want to cook unless I have a specific meal planned and all the ingredients ready to go. The next sub group is Waste-Not. This is the dollar value eater (see what doesn't go to waist). Then there is Refuse-Not. If there's food around I'll munch on it, especially if it's yummy ingredients while I'm cooking. And lastly is Emotional. Eat to deal with life (see roll over and play dead).

The goal of this book is to teach me how to move away from these personalities and embrace the Intuitive Eater.

1 comment:

  1. I have a problem at night wanting something cold and sweet so I thought I would try brushing my teeth right after supper and maybe it would prevent the craving.

    ReplyDelete