Sunday, July 17, 2011

If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat

Ok, so this is funny because obviously spoons can't make someone fat, right? Well... maybe they can. Or at least they can help. The other night I wanted a bowl of ice cream (it was in my freezer so someone had to eat it... that's an issue that will have to take up another entry). So being conscious of what I was eating I dished up half of what my eyes were telling me I wanted. Then I grabbed the biggest spoon in our silverware drawer and paused.


"Self," I told myself, "a bigger spoon will help me eat this bowl faster. Then I won't feel satisfied because the ice cream will be gone too fast, so then I'll go back and dish out more ice cream, and more ice cream is more calories that I don't need." I put the big spoon back and reached for the smaller spoon when my daughter's baby spoon caught my eye. I used the baby spoon. Something magical happened. I ate slower and really enjoyed the ice cream. And when I got done with the first bowl I didn't go back for a second.

How else can I apply this concept to my eating habits. Well besides using a smaller spoon (maybe not the baby spoon every time, but not the big soup spoon), I'm going to try to use smaller plates and bowls. This will force my portion sizes to be smaller. Plus it'll still look like I've got a full plate of food so maybe I can trick those eyes that are so often telling me I want more than I really do.

1 comment: